Tuesday, July 26, 2011

.002 Kairos Moments

"Lord, are you speaking to me?" Feinberg asks in response to an awkward passage of scripture. Do you ever find yourself asking this question? Maybe in response to scripture. Maybe in response to something that's happened in your life - some quirky, difficult, or confusing situation.

Oddly enough, I found myself in the sanctuary this morning, doing just that. In one of those "Okay, I'm a little confused and could use an explanation" moments, I stood looking up at the cross, waiting for an answer.

Whatever it is that brings us to the foot of the cross or down on our knees, I imagine that, in that moment, we are at our most vulnerable and honest state of being. Perhaps that is why God is able to work with us and through us, bringing about the "attitude shift" that Feinberg experienced. (And I do love her realization that SHE is the one in need of the attitude shift. Boy, can I relate to that!)

Now, what about chronos and kairos? Are you familiar with the two ways of looking at time? I actually preached a sermon about "God's time" or kairos time, several years ago, and I still get all hung up on chronos time, instead. I completely lose sight of the fact that I need to focus on the ways in which God is moving in and around our lives; sometimes missing the beauty of the presence of God's Spirit as she brings blessing after blessing into my days.

I'm so glad to know that none of you would EVER do such a thing, that you are able to, as Feinberg says, "recognize and seize the divine, opportune moments before us."

When she gets to the story of creation, she reminds us that, "Adam and Eve lose access to the garden, but they never lose God.... God goes with them, and continues to speak." As she segues from God speaking in Biblical times, to God's voice and action in our own lives, my questions begin...

When Feinberg tells the story of being denied the internship at the magazine of her choice and, instead, being given an internship at another magazine, she writes, "...I felt thrown by God, but now I look back and recognize the wisdom and grace of God's guidance." And so, I wonder... how much you see God's hand at work in the daily events of our lives?

Moving on to the stories of transformation, what is it that helps you realize that you can move on in times of pain or stagnation or when you have those walls built up in front of you? Angels don't come to all of us, as they did to Abraham and Sarah, with happy messages of good news for the future to make us laugh. So, what keeps you going?

And have you been that friend who is just able to be present with someone in that horrible time of uncertainty or pain? Or, have you been the one in need? Sometimes the "friends" who come with their platitudes are more hurtful than anything else. But those who come in love and just offer their comfortable presence (and their kleenex) are better than anything else.

Finally, we come to the section on the Holy Spirit and Hershey, the dog. I love that Feinberg takes Hershey everywhere. And I love her analogy between her scooping up the dog and the Holy Spirit doing the same for her. Doesn't it feel good to know that the Spirit is capable of lovingly and tenderly swooping in and gathering us up, when the need arises? But another question arose for me...

Feinberg writes, "When I jump to take matters into my own hands, rather than trust God, I find everything falling apart."

Here's my question... Is she underestimating the abilities, judgment and intelligence of human beings - who are created in the image of God?

Remember the questions at the end of the book, especially #'s 7, 8, 9, & 10.

May your days be filled with many Kairos Moments.

Peace,
Tam

1 comment:

  1. I stumble over foreign words, not often retaining their English translations, but this chapter resolved Kairos for me. Back when I was trying to learn Hawaiian, I discovered they had a different word for we "including you" and we "not including you" which would be pretty handy to have in English. Kairos now enriches my life as well as my vocabulary.

    A sailboat on the bay, a sunny day, the scent of pink sweetpeas in my yard...the timelessness of Kairos engages my spirit to appreciate this uncommon aspect of God: timeless, eternal, and all will be exceedingly well.

    ReplyDelete