How do you respond to this chapter? This one causes more turmoil for me than Feinberg's previous writing. It causes me to examine my own thoughts a bit more.
As she starts out with the story about smells and ministering to the homeless and people whose odor might not be the best, my reaction is very personal. Smells are one of my gut reaction difficulties in life. Or, gag reaction, if you want to know the truth. But I know, deep inside, that God's love is bigger than my gag reaction. And I know that people's needs are bigger than my squeamishness.
But, there's something else that Feinberg doesn't address that I wonder about - addiction. Many of the people to whom we bring care are addicts. To simply ignore that fact seems irresponsible. Sometimes God calls us to do more than simply share stories of Jesus; bring more than just spiritual healing.
Feinberg writes, "When I hear someone else's story of God's providing comfort in their lives, I often find my soul comforted." I don't know Scum of the Earth Church, but I hope they address the broader picture.
Feinberg goes on to tell the story of the missionary who came home to the grand welcome home celebration, but not for him. It was for the returning movie star. All was not lost, however, when the missionary realized that he would be welcomed home when he reached his final reward.
Rita Nakashima Brock, as well as other scholars, teach us that we are now living in God's realm. And, even if they are wrong, human beings have a great need for comfort, welcome, tender, loving care. As I read this, I was reminded of the Andy Griffith episode where Barney comes home to Mayberry after a long absence. Like the long absent missionary, there is the grand welcome intended for the movie star and Barney momentarily mistakes it as being for himself. His disappointment is palpable, heartbreaking as he exits the train and makes his way down the platform. But, he is not alone. For Andy is there, welcoming him home with his customary wisdom, gentleness, and love.
We, too, need this in our lives. And we need to offer it to others. We need to be the people who will bring God's gentle, loving welcome to the lives of others when they are feeling alone, bereft, needy.
Moving on, what role does conviction play in your life? It's not something we talk much about these days. Not in our churches, not in our modern lives. It's not something I necessarily identify with, unless I think about God holding up a mirror in front of me and saying, "OK, be honest here. Do you really think you're living up to my expectations? Or your own?
Feinberg writes, "Conviction is like a tangy fruit God uses to nourish us.... Our lives are flavored by the renewed presence of God. Beauty is carved into the core of our character." How lovely is that?
How do the remaining sections resonate with you? Feinberg writes about the spiritual discovery in scripture, "These experiences expand my capacity to know God, be filled by God, and be poured out for God. They stir the hunger to know God more." Have you felt that hunger? What stirs you, pulls you in to scripture, makes scripture real or meaningful for you?
What about prayer? How do you feel about Feinberg's question, "What if?" Can we change God's mind with our prayers? Or is God immutable? She says that God is inviting us to pray. That God looks for people to pray and become a part of "what he is already doing." What do you think of that? Does God need us to pray? Want us to pray? What part do we play in the grand scheme of things?
As for guidance, I love Feinberg's statement, "...God gives the greatest leaders guidance on a need-to-know basis. I realize this, yet still find myself begging God, Tell me more and tell me now." Boy, wouldn't that be nice? Or, would it? Feinberg says, "God doesn't just guide the places where we go or the people we meet; the Lord is involved in the miniscule details of our lives." Do you agree?
Love. Do you ever take the time to just be with God? Feinberg writes, "I sit in the silence and enjoy stillness with God. No agenda. No words. No challenge. No correction or instruction. Just being together."
Take a moment. Right now. In the stillness of this moment, find a quiet place, ignore your chores and your challenges, ignore everything that MUST be done. And just ENJOY God. Just appreciate that being who calls to you, loves you, created you, and is with you at every moment of every day. Just because you are you and God is God.
And let that Being shape who you are.
Love,
Tam
I read the book Hungry for God. The author seems very conventional and I didn't find anything really new in what she had to say. I did like her thoughts of lectio divinia. Unless I misunderstand her she seem to use the Bible as a ouija board, flip to a verse and those are your directions for the day, year,life. Not so. The Bible was not even written to us but to ancient Israel and early Christians and only as letters etc for issuesof their day. Of course we gain meaning from these ancients texts but not day to day messages specific to our particular needs.
ReplyDeleteYes, the author makes one think, and I think I can't agree with her take on God. Of course, we all experience God and the Bible in our own way, and her way is valid for her, but not for me. And so the quest for the Mystery continues.
--Jane Kletka
My favorite in this chapter is "It's not about you." I get so self-absorbed sometimes, and it want everything to be perfect; specifically, the way I think it should be, which may bear little resemblance to God's plan.
ReplyDeleteThese 4 little words reminded me also of a worker who didn't get upset when crabby strangers dumped their frustation on her. She said "they don't know me, so their anger isn't really personal."
God's guidance on a "need to know basis" also shows me that I'm just a small part of His REALLY Big Plan. My part is to do my all, and not worry about the rest. It's in His Hands.