Saturday, August 27, 2011

.005 The Language of God

I must've been in a more receptive mood, as I read this chapter. Cynical Tam was a little further removed, this time!

I love the idea that "God uses multiple verbal and nonverbal cues to get our attention..." Doesn't it make sense that God would reach out to us in many different ways? The world is so big and we all learn and grow in different ways; it only makes sense that God would "speak" to each of us in ways that we might see, learn, understand, grow.

Feinberg deals with scripture and liturgy as ways to seek and find God. How do you find God's presence? God's messages for your life? How do you "hear" God's thoughts?

Feinberg writes, "The clarity and boldness of God Thoughts sometimes makes me wonder if God really did speak aloud." Have you had this experience? What was it like? And what were those times of silence like? Did they affect your relationship with the Almighty?

What about visions? That's not something we think about much, these days. Have you ever had a "vision" experience? How did it guide your life?

Dreams are something that may feel a little more comfortable. We may chalk it up to our subconscious guiding us. But, if God came to the ancients in dreams, can God do the same for us? Did God do so for them, or is that just a beautiful way to tell those Biblical stories?

While I may not relate to each of Feinberg's points, I do appreciate the way she uses story in her writing.

And, like Feinberg, "I'm in awe of the beauty of God's creation and the ways in which he reveals the sacred to us in nature. The power of God is emblazoned in everything from the Grand Tetons to the ladybug resting on a leaf."

I haven't been to the Tetons since I was a teen, but the awesome splendour of their peaks resides in my heart. At that time, I would tell people, "I'm never going to get married, but if I do, I'm getting married there!" Why? Because it was, and still is, the most beautiful place I've ever been in my life. It's impossible to look at the magnificence of those mountains and not believe in God. At least, it is for me. (Why I equated that with a wedding, I don't know!)

What is your God language? How does God speak to you? Listen carefully. Very, very carefully. Because God has so much to say.

Blessings on you and your listening ears.

Tam


1 comment:

  1. OK, so I had a little trouble with chapter 5. Lectio divina seems too slow a process for me. ("I don't have time for this!" but of course the time I spend playing FreeCell COULD be put to better use...)
    On the other hand I REALLY liked her recap of the 10 lepers and suggestion to "Be the one" who went back to thank Jesus out of overwhelming gratitude. I am grateful for her writing. Some of it really resonates with me, and some does not. The "me" and "not me" doesn't have to be a pejorative judgement. If I am authentically myself, but listen respectfully to what sounds foreign, I might learn that new language eventually.

    ReplyDelete